Grazyna Zubik - violin
Natalia Warzecha - Karkus - viola
Julia Kotarba - cello
Airis Quartet was founded in 2007 by students from the Academy of Music in Cracow. In less than half a year after coming into existence the Quartet was awarded II prize at the International Competition Of The Contemporary Chamber Music in Cracow. Following years have brought numerous awards:
- Polish-Danish Friendship Prize, won at International Competition of Contemporary Chamber Music in Cracow, 2010,
- Honorous Distinction at International String Quartet Competition in Radom, 2011,
- Public Prize awarded during the final concert of Masterclasses carried out by Apollon Musagete Quartett,
- “EMCY Prize for Excellent Performance” at the 27th International Charles Hennen Competition, Holland 2012,
- Windisch Kammermusik Preis in Wien, 2012.
- Special Prize at the 1st Karol Szymanowski International String Quartet Competition in Katowice, 2014
- Grand Prix – III International Mater Competition , Warszawa 2015
- 3rd Prize at the International Music Competition on Malta 2015
The ensemble acquired the essentials of playing together tutored by musicians of Dafo Quartet in Cracow and Jeroen Reuling and Sarah Kapustin in Holland. In 2014, Airis finished the post-graduate studies at University of Music and Performing Arts in Vienna in Johannes Meissl’s class, violinist of Artis Quartet.
Since 2012 the quartet was also a member of the European Chamber Music Academy. The ensemble took part in numerous masterclasses and improved their skills with such great musicians like: Marek Moś (Silesian String Quartet), Arkadiusz Kubica (Silesian String Quartet), Piotr Rechert (Camerata Quartet), Royal String Quartet, Apollon Musagete Quartett , Melos Quartet, Piotr Tarcholik, Jeroen Reuling, Sarah Kapustin (Rubens Quartet), Marc Danel (Danel Quartet), Grzegorz Kotow (Szymanowski Quartet), Luc Marie Aguera (Ysaye Quartet), Miguel da Silva (Ysaye Quartet), Peter Prause, Hatto Bayerle, Avedis Kouyoumdjian, Peter Crooper.
Besides classical and romantic pieces Airis Quartet concentrates also at contemporary music, which takes special place in their repertoire.
On April 2016 the quartet was invited to take part in extraordinary masterclasses with Quatuor Diotima in Noirlac (France) studying contemporary pieces and modern techniques and working with young composers.
The ensemble had the honour and pleasure to work with great composers like Krzysztof Penderecki, Krzysztof Meyer, Rafal Augustyn, Ib Norholm and film music composers like Garry Schymann and Krzysztof A. Janczak. The quartet is also open to the artistic activity of young composers and often first performs their pieces.
Airis Quartet doesn’t limit oneself into string quartet. Since 2013 Airis both with Amadrums Percussion Trio performs as a innovative septet for whom the young composers creates their pieces (premiere of the piece Ignition for strings, percussion and electronics composed by Łukasz Pieprzyk).
On 2015 Airis Quartet took up postgraduate chamber music studies at the Karol Szymanowski Academy of Music in Katowice and works with Piotr Szumieł- violist of the Apollon Musagete Quartet.
It will participate in the DIotima Quartet IRCAM/ProQuartet session in Paris, in June 2017.